It’s that time of year again, that time of year where love is love and every color of the rainbow flies beautifully in the wind. One of the biggest events in June are the pride festivals, but this year is a little more special, IT’S THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FIRST GAY PRIDE PARADE! Also, many of these cities are pushing their pride festival up a bit early to observe the anniversary commemoration for New York City, so this means you can go to the city of your choice and then go to New York if you like. Almost every big city has one, but not all of them are fun, my city has one, but it’s what I would call aight. Nevertheless, there are many cities that have a very thriving LGBT community. Here are some of the United States’ best cities to celebrate pride.
- San Francisco! San Francisco Pride starts Saturday, June 29th to Sunday, June 30th. When you think of a thriving LGBT community, the city you think of is San Francisco. The city is warm and the the rainbow flags billow in the wind. San Francisco Pride has something for everyone, a stage for women, youth, Asian & Pacific Islanders, deaf and hard of hearing and so many more. One of the headliners on the main stage is Amara La Negra.
- Chicago! This one is a bit confusing, but this gives you enough time to explore Chicago more. Chicago Pride Fest starts Saturday, June 22nd to Sunday, June 23rd, but the Pride parade is on Sunday, June 30th at Boystown. This way you can stay in Chicago for a week and eat all of the amazing food it has to offer, like the delicious Chicago dog and the deep dish pizza. One of the big headliners is Alex Newell and I’ll give you another, LeAnn Rimes.
- Houston! Texas isn’t really known for embracing the LGBT community, but their Pride festival is one to talk about. Not only does it have a pride festival and a parade they are celebrating from May 22nd to June 22nd; pride film fest, pride Latinx night, a genderless cocktail party, a pool party, a sober skate night, a fashion show and so much more. Houston Pride can be your one stop shop for Pride fun.
- New York! It’s Stonewall 50! Why not go to the placE Where it all started. New York City is the home of the first gay pride parade, this will be the 50th anniversary of the pride parade. The celebration starts June 1st to June 30th, if you thought Houston was a treat, New York is the place to be if you want to be immersed in Pride Month. There’s a VIP rooftop party, youth pride, the Stonewall 50 Commemoration, a pride brunch, a family movie night, a film festival, and even cosplay (costume play).
- Minneapolis! I must say one thing about Twin Cities’ Pride…TLC! TLC is headlining Twin Cities’ Pride on June 22nd! I don’t want no scrubs! Not to mention Midwest Pride is always nice because you get all of the nice Midwest attitudes.
These cities hold some of the best Pride events for Pride month and I hope you will give the a try. Pride holds a special place in my heart, as a bisexual woman, it can feel weird trying to show your true colors to others. However, Pride festivals always give me a place to feel like I am welcomed and appreciated. Pride is not just a place for single adults, but it’s a place for families. Whether you are a gay or lesbian couple with children, a cis/trans couple with kids, a cis straight couple with children, or a single parent this is a place for you to bring your family. LGBT history is something to teach your child and the 50th anniversary can be the best time to educate your child.
If you would like to learn more about the upcoming Pride festivities happening here in the US please visit https://www.orbitz.com/blog/pride/, they have a Pride Guide for 2019. Many of these festival and activities are free, go check out the websites to see what you would like to do. Go let your freak flag fly and celebrate the accomplishments we have done and enjoy the amazing atmosphere of self truth!